3/18/20

Tooth Surface Finish

SwingTime Teeth
Spray lacquer is the only thing I'll use on teeth, and even at that I try to avoid getting too much into the tooth surfaces.  I spray from the center of the wheel out and try to avoid the tooth surfaces. 

We did some testing on the Weird Gears Shark Bait.  It is a hand operated kinetic sculpture.  We tested without any finish, with finish sprayed from the center, and then with finish sprayed into the tooth surfaces.  The last was a bad idea.  Finish on the tooth surfaces greatly increased internal friction.  It takes up space and also fluffs up the wood making for excessive internal friction.

It is best to avoid any finish on the tooth surfaces, but if you must, use spray lacquer lightly.  It dries hard, but still, on humid days it is subject to moisture in the air that will make it tacky.

Conclusion: finish on the tooth surfaces is just not worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, but in order for me to have more time playing in my sawdust, I cannot respond to them here. If you have a technical question, please do not post it here, or I will have my wife answer it for me and her technical knowledge is highly suspect. For technical questions, check out the FAQ section of my website, or find my email link there. Mahalo and Aloha, Clayton