5/18/11

Flying Pendulum by Michael Carter

Flying Pendulum by Michael Carter

"Dr. Boyer,
 
I've attached pictures of my first wooden clock...so far. I must say that this is probably the most enjoyable project i've ever completed. I had a few head scratching moments during the build and learned a lot. One example is that you should NOT use aluminum rods for the arbors...curse you Hobby Lobby. I spent many hours watching that little brass weight zoom around. It took several days before I got it to run longer than 5 minutes at a time. I replaced all of the arbors with music wire...much better... more sanding. Then up to 12 min, then I got some bees wax from my dad and lubed the sticking teeth with that and now FINALLY it will run all night. YES!!! What a rush.
 
The weight shell was its own challenge. I spent most of a day hollowing out a 2" wooden dowel and staining and locating lead shot for fill only to discover that it only weighed 3 pounds when full. In the photos is my third version which I "and my wife" are quite happy with. It's 2 1/2" fence post with caps painted with brass paint and wrapped in wood veneer.
 
 

My wife just loves the look of "Radiance" and I hope you would be so kind as to allow me access to the secret link for that set of clocks.
 
By the way you designs are simply amazing. You must be a seriously disturbed individual...lol. Just kidding, thank you for allowing me access to them.

Mike Carter"
 
Thanks for the pictures, Mike!  Great job.  You are now welcome into Masochist's Corner, where you too, can become a seriously disturbed individual.  Try not to whine; it won't hurt...much....